Kontakt

Hilfe
Heutige Beiträge
Kalender
Registrieren
Home

Willkommen im Elvis-Forum.

Du besuchst unser Forum derzeit als Gast, wodurch Du nur eingeschränkten Zugriff auf die meisten Diskussionen, Artikel und unsere anderen FREIEN Features hast. Wenn Du Dich in unserem Forum kostenlos anmeldest, kannst Du eigene Themen erstellen, kannst Dich privat mit anderen Benutzern unterhalten (PN), an Umfragen teilnehmen, eigene Fotos hochladen und viele weitere spezielle Features nutzen.

Die Registrierung ist schnell, einfach und absolut kostenlos! Werde also noch heute Mitglied in unserem Forum!

Wenn Du Probleme bei der Registrierung oder Deinen Zugangsdaten hast, kontaktiere bitte unseren Support.

Navigation
Zurück   Elvis-Forum > Off Topic > Musik - TV - Film
Musik - TV - Film Andere Promis, Künstler, Musiker und Bands

Antwort

Themen-Optionen

Alt 03.08.2009, 05:31
Popmuseum Popmuseum ist offline
Kennt sich hier aus
Themenstarter

Popmuseum Renommee-Level 0,4%
Ausführlicher Nachruf

Sun Records' 'lost giant' Billy Lee Riley dies at 75
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...riley-dead-75/
Die folgenden 4 Nutzer bedankten sich bei Popmuseum für diesen Beitrag:
Alt Alt 03.08.2009, 05:31
Advertising
Werbung

Diese Werbung wird registrierten
Mitgliedern so nicht angezeigt.
Werde noch heute
im Elvis-Forum
Standard Sponsored Links

Alt 03.08.2009, 10:37
Benutzerbild von burroughs
burroughs burroughs ist offline
Board-Legende

burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%
remembering riley
quelle: elvisunlimited

http://www.elvisunlimited.com/news.a...9&news_id=1506

Elvis Unlimited is sad to report that at 5:20 AM CST on August 2, 2009, Sun Recording artist Billy Lee Riley passed away.

Bill Lee Riley has been battling stage four colon cancer since May.
His cancer had spread to his bones. Billy Lee was admitted to St. Bernard's Medical Center in Jonesboro,Arkansas on Saturday.
His wife Joyce was shocked by his death early Sunday morning at 5:20 AM. But says he went peacefully.
She also said they did not see the end coming. Especially since he had been feeling better lately. Billy Lee was 75 years old.

Billy Lee Riley was born on October 5, 1933 in Pocahontas, Arkansas.
His father was a sharecropper and the family lived on plantations. Billy Lee grew up picking cotton with black farm workers
where he learned the blues and to play guitar on the farm. We didn't see color. "We lived together, we played together,
we visited each other, all on one big farm with a bunch
of integrated people." Billy Lee recalled in an interview for Rocktober Magazine. His schooling was limited to two or three months a year
due to sharecropping which he did until the age of 13 when his family left the farm.At the age of 15 he joined the US Army.
After servicing four year in the US Army, in 1955 Riley met Jack Clement who at the time was starting Fernwood Records.

Riley met Clement who was hitch hiking in Arkansas. The men began to talk and next thing he knew, Billy Lee was recording for Jack in Memphis.
He recorded "Trouble Bound" and "Rock With Me Baby". Although his records were not released under the Fernwood label.
Clement took them to Sam Phillips at Sun to master them and Sam bought them. They were released under the Sun label.
Billy Lee's first hit was "Flyin' Saucers Rock and Roll" - "I Want You Baby" released February 23, 1957 (Sun 260) after which he recorded
"Red Hot" - "Pearly Lee" released September 30, 1957 (Sun 277) both with backing piano by Jerry Lee Lewis.

Riley formed a band called "The Little Green Men". Riley and his Little Green Men were the main Sun studio band which played on many
Sun recordings. The band consisted of Riley, Roland James, J. M. Van Eaton, Marvin Pepper, and Jimmy Wilson, and later joined by Martin Willis.

In a Rocktober Magazine interview, Billy Lee said this about Elvis, "Elvis took a lot of flack, man.
Most of these other guys wanted to sound like Elvis,
so they say "Yeah, we took it too." I think a lot of that, just like a whole lot of history from the 50's is so distorted right now.
It's hard to find the real truth. Everybody's telling stories "Aw we took a lot of flack, they didn't want us playing black music."
I never did see that happen. The only one I ever did hear of that happening to was Elvis.
I didn't see anybody else having problems with it and I doubt if they did. Elvis said he had problems with it, so to be like Elvis,
everybody else claimed to have problems too. "

Billy Lee blames Sam Phillips for his lack of major success under the Sun label. In a Rocktober Magazine interview he said,
"Sam didn't promote it, he sabotaged the record. He dropped my record for "Great Balls Of Fire."
That's why I had my greatest disagreement with him. Of course, we still worked together after that, but it never was the same.
But yeah, he had deliberately quit selling my record - right in front of me, with me standing there listening to him - he canceled my record.
So when he did that, I lost respect for him. He just forgot everybody but except Jerry Lee Lewis, and that doesn't make me feel bad at Jerry Lee!
That had nothin' to do with how I felt about Jerry Lee. Whatever I felt about Jerry Lee would be personal. That's what caused me to leave Sun.
The same thing with Johnny Cash and everybody else. At one time, they've all made the same statement. Yet Sam denied it.
And it backfired on him dropping all of us for Jerry Lee when he went over to Europe and lost his popularity."

In the early sixties, he moved to Los Angeles and worked with various artists including Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr, and the Beach Boys.
In 1969, Billy Lee returned to Sun Records which had been sold and worked under Shelby Singleton.
By the 70's he returned to normal life in Arkansas and had a very minor role in music.

In 1992, he was rediscovered by Bob Dylan. Dylan considered Billy Lee a hero. In 1997, Billy Lee's album, Hot Damn was considered for a Grammy.
In 2005, he had a slip and fall accident at a local store and suffered a broken hip. He had two surgeries.
In 2006, he released a country CD titled, Hillbilly Rockin Man. He played the Memphis In May celebration in 2007 in Memphis, TN.
His final performance came in June of this year, where he appeared with his old Sun label mate Sonny Burgess during an event at the
Rock and Soul Museum in Memphis, TN.

Riley is survived by his wife, Joyce, their daughter Angela Johns, and three children from his first marriage, Erin Riley, Wendy Kennedy,
and Darron Riley.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
On August 30th, there will be a memorial show in Newport, Arkansas featuring Sonny Burgess and the Pacers, WS Holland and his band,
Travis Wammack, Carl Mann, Smoochy Smith, Ace Cannon and his band, Jr. Rogers, Warren Crow, J. M. VanEaton, Dale Hawkins, C. W. Gattin,
and the Blues Brothers Band.

Megan Murphy - Exclusively for elvisunlimited.com

Geändert von burroughs (03.08.2009 um 10:49 Uhr)
Die folgenden 4 Nutzer bedankten sich bei burroughs für diesen Beitrag:
Alt 03.08.2009, 13:12
Benutzerbild von michael grasberger
michael grasberger michael grasberger ist offline
Board-Legende

michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%
Zitat:
Zitat von Popmuseum Beitrag anzeigen
Wer will, kann sich bis morgen Mittag das folgende 46 Minuten dauernde Radio-Porträt über BLR als MP3-File downloaden.

Billy Lee Rileys unstete Karriere
Lebensmotto "Trouble Bound"
*) http://profil.aon.at/nick/103726144/
*) http://profil.aon.at/a/filemanager.g...ee%20Riley.m4a
shit, war zu spät...:traurig:

"We know that rock'n'roll was not a human invention, that it was the work of the Holy Ghost."
(Nick Tosches)
Alt 03.08.2009, 13:28
Kennt sich hier aus
Themenstarter

Zitat:
Zitat von michael grasberger Beitrag anzeigen
shit, war zu spät...:traurig:
Da muss ich die Frist doch um eine Stunde verlängern.

Gratulation zum 6.000 Posting!
Alt 03.08.2009, 13:29
Benutzerbild von burroughs
burroughs burroughs ist offline
Board-Legende

burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%burroughs Renommee-Level 100%
hat ihn da etwa jemand kackdreist beschissen
Alt 03.08.2009, 13:29
Benutzerbild von michael grasberger
michael grasberger michael grasberger ist offline
Board-Legende

michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%
danke, cos hat mir bereits mit einem megauploadlink ausgeholfen.

"We know that rock'n'roll was not a human invention, that it was the work of the Holy Ghost."
(Nick Tosches)
Alt 03.08.2009, 13:30
Kennt sich hier aus
Themenstarter

Blinzeln

Zitat:
Zitat von burroughs Beitrag anzeigen
hat ihn da etwa jemand kackdreist beschissen
6.000 sind's - schon korrigiert!
Die folgenden Nutzer bedankten sich bei Popmuseum für diesen Beitrag:
Alt 03.08.2009, 15:54
Kennt sich hier aus
Themenstarter

Die "Bear Family" bringt heuer eine neue Riley-Box auf den Markt:

Billy Lee Riley
http://www.bear-family.de/index.php?...newscategory=0

- und hier gibt's den Trailer für den Film "Speed Lovers" zu sehen, in dem Riley spielt und singt:

RIP Billy Lee Riley
http://stantheembryo.com/?p=1220

IMDb-Einträge:
http://www.imdb.de/name/nm0726987/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0726987/

Geändert von Popmuseum (03.08.2009 um 16:12 Uhr) Grund: + IMDb-Einträge
Alt 04.08.2009, 08:58
Kennt sich hier aus
Themenstarter

Nachrufe

In den englischsprachigen Zeitungen gibt es heute ausführlichere Nachrufe.

Der Nachruf in der "Washington Post" zeigt Riley mit jener "Gibson Blueshawk" deretwegen er meine Aufmerksamkeit erregt und ich mir sein großartiges Bluesalbum "hot damn!" gekauft habe. In der Folge haben mich auch seine früheren Aufnahmen interessiert und nach den ersten Takten von "Trouble Bound" gab's für mich kein Halten mehr.

BILLY LEE RILEY, 75
Sun Records Rockabilly Musician
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/03/AR2009080302828.html

Billy Lee Riley dies at 75; rockabilly pioneer did 'Flyin' Saucers Rock and Roll'
http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-billy-lee-riley4-2009aug04,0,6424973.story

Sun Records star Billy Lee Riley dies at 75
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gi-ArLQ5iG2zfidVz-IIdAWscSOQD99ROCR81

Sun Records star Billy Lee Riley dies at 75; hits included 'Flyin' Saucers Rock & Roll'
http://www.kfsm.com/sns-ap-us-obit-riley,0,7162610.story
Die folgenden Nutzer bedankten sich bei Popmuseum für diesen Beitrag:
Alt 05.08.2009, 12:51
Rockabilly Rebel Rockabilly Rebel ist offline
Fühlt sich hier wohl

Rockabilly Rebel Renommee-Level 0,4%
Sehr,sehr traurig...........:traurig:
Antwort

Stichworte
billy lee riley