Kontakt

Hilfe
Heutige Beiträge
Kalender
Registrieren
Home

Willkommen im Elvis-Forum.

Du besuchst unser Forum derzeit als Gast, wodurch Du nur eingeschränkten Zugriff auf die meisten Diskussionen, Artikel und unsere anderen FREIEN Features hast. Wenn Du Dich in unserem Forum kostenlos anmeldest, kannst Du eigene Themen erstellen, kannst Dich privat mit anderen Benutzern unterhalten (PN), an Umfragen teilnehmen, eigene Fotos hochladen und viele weitere spezielle Features nutzen.

Die Registrierung ist schnell, einfach und absolut kostenlos! Werde also noch heute Mitglied in unserem Forum!

Wenn Du Probleme bei der Registrierung oder Deinen Zugangsdaten hast, kontaktiere bitte unseren Support.

Navigation
Zurück   Elvis-Forum > Elvis-Forum > Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley Elvis Presley - Nachrichten | Aktuelles | Wissenswertes | Bemerkenswertes
Alles über den King of Rock 'n' Roll

Antwort

Themen-Optionen

Alt 02.09.2009, 06:13
MARIE MARIE ist offline
Posting-Legende

MARIE Renommee-Level 36%MARIE Renommee-Level 36%MARIE Renommee-Level 36%MARIE Renommee-Level 36%MARIE Renommee-Level 36%MARIE Renommee-Level 36%MARIE Renommee-Level 36%MARIE Renommee-Level 36%
Sam Phillips selling Elvis' contract no mistake

Sam Phillips selling Elvis' contract no mistake: When Sam Phillips sold Elvis’ contract to RCA Records, it was no mistake as many people will tell you. I had the honor and privilege of working for “The Father of Rock and Roll”, at his radio station in his hometown of Florence, Alabama.

I just got off the air after doing my Saturday afternoon airshift, walked into the sales area and saw Mr. Phillips standing there. I found out in short order that he prefers Sam over Mr. Phillips. He sat down and he told me that radio was his first love, not recording. He was a disc jockey for many years including WREC at that time located in the Hotel Peabody in downtown Memphis. In fact the recording started as a sound effects library for radio production and grew from there. Sun Studios was originally called The Memphis Recording Service with the slogan "We Record Anything, Anywhere, Anytime."

At the time I was young and naive enough to think I could ask him about selling Elvis' contract for $40,000. Sam said "Well first of all it was $35,000 because Elvis got $5,000 and second that was a lot of money back in 1955 especially for an artist that had never had a hit record. He told me at the time RCA made the offer he was considering an offer from Atlantic Records for $25,000. He needed the money to promote Sun's other artist. I knew Elvis had started on Sun but didn't realize he had never had a hit. He said he didn’t have the money to promote Elvis, “Back then the best way to sell records was by touring. With the money I made from the sell of the contract I was able to promote Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis.” He paused for a minute, went into his office and returned with an old picture, he said this group played right here in the tri-cities (Florence, Sheffield and Muscle Shoals). It was Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Jay Perkins (Carl's brother) and Jerry Lee Lewis. All but Jay were in later years called the Million Dollar Quartet.

Since he brought it up I asked about how Carl Perkins felt about Elvis recording "Blue Suede Shoes" a song Perkins wrote and had recorded himself. Sam said “Carl was in a car wreck on the way to do a TV show (the Perry Como Show) and couldn't tour. Elvis did a cover and had a hit with it bringing in money Carl would have never seen from royalties." He pointed out that in hindsight people think that the Elvis version overshadowed Perkins version. The fact is, Perkins version gave Sun Records their first national hit, selling over a million copies and giving them the cash flow they needed at the time. Perkins took “Blue Suede Shoes” to the top of the country charts and #2 on the pop charts. Elvis’ version (on RCA) stalled at #20 on the pop charts. But the royalties from the Elvis version gave Carl the money he needed during his recovery.

Sam also said that he invested some of the money into Holiday Inn, over the years he made his money back many times over. He had also put on a radio station in 1955, WHER. It was the first all female radio station. Not only the air staff but management as well. A sly grin came across his face as he told me that all the girls applying for the on air staff thought they would be the only woman on staff as was the norm at the time. It wasn’t until they came to work that they realized they were going to be a part of broadcasting history. “At the time” Sam said “people thought I was crazy, that it would never last but WHER was on the air for eleven years.”

Sam was a living legend and an innovator. He took chances by combining black and white music and was the first to cross over the country and rock charts (Elvis later added R&B and topped all three charts). He also had the first “All Girl” radio station; he was truly the first Equal Opportunity Employer. I am proud to have worked for him. (Comment, Source: Mitch McCracken, examiner.com)
Die folgenden 7 Nutzer bedankten sich bei MARIE für diesen Beitrag:
Alt Alt 02.09.2009, 06:13
Advertising
Werbung

Diese Werbung wird registrierten
Mitgliedern so nicht angezeigt.
Werde noch heute
im Elvis-Forum
Standard Sponsored Links

Alt 02.09.2009, 10:18
gast-20111607
Gast

Zitat:
Zitat von MARIE Beitrag anzeigen
He told me at the time RCA made the offer he was considering an offer from Atlantic Records for $25,000.
Wie Elvis' Karriere bzw. musikalischer Output wohl bei Atlantic Records verlaufen wäre, abgesehen von bekannten Fakten: RCA = Big Player = Best choice for Elvis?

Zitat:
He had also put on a radio station in 1955, WHER. It was the first all female radio station. Not only the air staff but management as well. A sly grin came across his face as he told me that all the girls applying for the on air staff thought they would be the only woman on staff as was the norm at the time. It wasn’t until they came to work that they realized they were going to be a part of broadcasting history. “At the time” Sam said “people thought I was crazy, that it would never last but WHER was on the air for eleven years.”
Off-Topic:

Interessantes Detail, also schon zig Jahrzehnte vor Auswüchsen wie "Frauenquote" und "Girls' Day"...
Alt 02.09.2009, 13:28
Benutzerbild von TheKing
TheKing TheKing ist offline
Board-Legende

TheKing Renommee-Level 100%TheKing Renommee-Level 100%TheKing Renommee-Level 100%TheKing Renommee-Level 100%TheKing Renommee-Level 100%TheKing Renommee-Level 100%TheKing Renommee-Level 100%TheKing Renommee-Level 100%TheKing Renommee-Level 100%TheKing Renommee-Level 100%TheKing Renommee-Level 100%
Ob Sam sich seine Story nicht auch etwas schön redet?
Alt 02.09.2009, 14:30
Benutzerbild von michael grasberger
michael grasberger michael grasberger ist offline
Board-Legende

michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%
Zitat:
Zitat von Richard Burton Beitrag anzeigen
Wie Elvis' Karriere bzw. musikalischer Output wohl bei Atlantic Records verlaufen wäre,
sicher aufregender als bei rca.
atlantic war ein innovatives label, das von zwei waschechten musikfreaks und visionären (ahmet ertegun & jerry wexler) geführt wurde. die beiden hätten elvis kreativ gefordert. elvis hätte nicht in nashville sondern in memphis (bei stax z.b.) oder in muscle shoals seine platten aufgenommen und die musikwelt der 60er jahre entscheidend mitgeprägt. elvis hätte die british invasion aufgehalten und in europa getourt.
musikalische peinlichkeiten sowie lieb- und hirnlos zusamengestellte alben zwecks musikalischer resteverwertung hätte es bei atlantic nie gegeben.
colonel parker wäre entmachtet worden, amerika hätte schon 1981 einen schwarzen zum präsidenten gewählt, und die welt wäre heute ganz allgemein eine schönere.

"We know that rock'n'roll was not a human invention, that it was the work of the Holy Ghost."
(Nick Tosches)
Die folgenden Nutzer bedankten sich bei michael grasberger für diesen Beitrag:
Alt 02.09.2009, 14:31
Board-Legende

michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%michael grasberger Renommee-Level 100%
Zitat:
Zitat von michael grasberger Beitrag anzeigen
sicher aufregender als bei rca.
atlantic war ein innovatives label, das von zwei waschechten musikfreaks und visionären (ahmet ertegun & jerry wexler) geführt wurde. die beiden hätten elvis kreativ gefordert. elvis hätte nicht in nashville sondern in memphis (bei stax z.b.) oder in muscle shoals seine platten aufgenommen und die musikwelt der 60er jahre entscheidend mitgeprägt. elvis hätte die british invasion aufgehalten und in europa getourt.
musikalische peinlichkeiten sowie lieb- und hirnlos zusamengestellte alben zwecks musikalischer resteverwertung hätte es bei atlantic nie gegeben.
colonel parker wäre entmachtet worden, amerika hätte schon 1981 einen schwarzen zum präsidenten gewählt, und die welt wäre heute ganz allgemein eine schönere.
klasse posting.

"We know that rock'n'roll was not a human invention, that it was the work of the Holy Ghost."
(Nick Tosches)
Die folgenden 4 Nutzer bedankten sich bei michael grasberger für diesen Beitrag:
Alt 02.09.2009, 14:34
gast-201108181
Gast

Alt 02.09.2009, 14:44
Benutzerbild von cos
cos cos ist offline
Board-Legende

cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%
Also ist Elvis Schuld an der derzeitigen Lage auf der Welt?

Alt 02.09.2009, 14:50
Board-Legende

Zitat:
Zitat von cos Beitrag anzeigen
Also ist Elvis Schuld an der derzeitigen Lage auf der Welt?
wenigstens einer, der verstanden hat, worauf ich hinauswill.

(Nick Tosches)
Alt 02.09.2009, 14:53
Benutzerbild von cos
cos cos ist offline
Board-Legende

cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%cos Renommee-Level 100%
Wusste ich es doch.

Antwort

Stichworte
contract, mistake, phillips, selling