Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen
Alt 05.01.2007, 09:43
gast-220070417
Gast

Hier ein Ausschnitt eines Interviews mit Barbara Pittman über Ihre Zeit mit Elvis in den Sun - Studios:

"I sang with him, I knew him, I lived down the street from him when we were kids in North Memphis. His mom and mine used to get together to have what they used to call Stanleyparties, they call them Tupperware parties now. I practically lived out at Graceland in the '50s before Elvis went into the service. He was going to take me on the road with him, then he got drafted." Barbara offers some fascinating recollections of Elvis in the earliest days of his Sun affiliation.
"I remember we were playing at a Catholic School on Jackson one evening. This was back in '55 before Elvis had dyed his hair black. It was still blond. He had his dad's old "pushmobile", we used to call it. You used to have to push it to get it started. It was pouring down rain when we came out of the show. Elvis had this black shoe polish in his hair. This was before he could afford to dye it properly. And it was raining and the shoe polish was running down his face and all over his clothes. And all these little screaming girls were after him and here'sElvis looking like Al Jolson in makeup. It was awful. "The King" standing there with black dye running all down his face." Barbara also recalls time spent at 706 Union Avenue.
"Elvis and I used to go down to the Sun studio in the afternoons after he got off from work. Sam had given him the key to the studio and he and I used to go down there. Sam was never there, he and Marion were off somewhere ... and Elvis used to answer the phone. There was really nothing going on there in the afternoons at that time. Everything was done at night. So Elvis and I were taking care of the studio. A lot of people were talking to Elvis on the phone at that time and never even knew it."
If the Memphis authorities believed Barbara was too young for night life in the local clubs, Barbara accommodated their wishes by going out on the road. She began touring withcowboy star Lash LaRue. I was with him for a year. The late part of '55 and the early part of 1956.

We went all over the country. He had quite a show. He really could use that bullwhip. They used to do fight scenes, he would knock ashes off cigarettes with his whip, knock guns out of guys' hands. He hired me on as a baby sitter and then he let me sing. I performed whatever was selling at the time. Songs like 'Let Me Go Lover' and 'Just Because'."

Quelle:http://www.elvisinfonet.com/