Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen
Alt 01.03.2018, 15:15
Graves_bei_Nacht Graves_bei_Nacht ist offline
Gehört zum Inventar

Graves_bei_Nacht Renommee-Level 6%Graves_bei_Nacht Renommee-Level 6%Graves_bei_Nacht Renommee-Level 6%
Zitat:
Zitat von RADER Beitrag anzeigen
Ich schreibe in Kürze einen großen Artikel drüber. Daher nur vorab - der Chef von Bear Family, Richard Weize,...
Eine alte Geschichte.... und kostet die daran Interessierten doch nur wieder Geld (wie üblich)!

Warum nicht gleich?

Zitat:
Zitat von Bill Holland
Erasing Elvis, Pitching Out Presley

Elvis may have been the king, but for RCA bean counters in the days before BMG took over the
company, he was just a name on pesky tape reels taking up valuable space.

"In the '70s, they just threw out some Elvis material." said a source. "A storage issue, apparently. They
were multitrack session reels from his '60s movies. Those ended up on a (counterfeit) bootleg."

Presley's first sessions in Los Angeles, cut in 1957, also went missing, but this time, enterprising BMG
reissue execs, 30 years later, tracked down copies by contacting Bones Howe, one of the recording
engineers who taped the sessions at Radio Recorders along with Thorne Nogar. Luckily for the label,
they'd stored them away in the studio library.

And even more luckily, Howe saved them after finding them in the trash after a "studio cleanup" three
years later.
"I walked in the back door of the studio one day," Howe recalled. "It was in 1960. The dumpster was
filled with tapes. I went, 'my God, I worked on a lot of these things.'

"I asked the supervisor, and he said that the studio had cleaned out the library, and they had called the
record companies but there was no response. So he said, 'go ahead, take 'em before the dumpster truck
pulls up.'

"I went through all these tapes and got all the things I'd recorded, and digging through them, I found the
Elvis reels, and sealed them all up in boxes and stored them in my garage. They were with me through
the '80s.

Even better, in addition to several mono reels, Howe had found tapes of the entire session cut on a twotrack
stereo machine that served as a backup tape recorder rolling at the sessions. (There were thought
to be no pre-Army, Elvis stereo recordings).

"Now, RCA had the mono EQ'd masters, but even back in the late '60s, things at the vault had gotten
way out of control, tapes piled everywhere, so they couldn't really find anything. After Elvis died, all
these compilations started coming out," Howe explained.

"Finally in the mid'80s, RCA called and said 'we hear you've got these tapes," and I said, 'yes, I do.' In the
end we negotiated a price and I sold the tapes back to RCA. The (audio tapes for) the 1968 TV
'Comeback Special' too."

Perhaps the most amazing Found Elvis Tapes story is how a record company boss in Germany discovered
the long-missing tapes of Prelsey's first 1956 RCA recording session in Nashville. For decades, they were
thought to no longer exist.

A few years back, Bear Family Records in Hambergen, Germany licensed tons of RCA Hank Snow
material from BMG for one of its admirable multi-volume, multi-CD sets for the European market.

As Bear Family owner Richard Weize and his engineer sat in the studio listening to one of the many
Snow tapes, they could hear something "annoying" running backwards. When they flipped the reel
over, they were astounded. They'd stumbled upon a previously-unknown alternate take of the 1956
RCA Elvis hit, "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You."

Weize immedately called the well-known Elvis reissue expert Ernst Jorgensen, who confirmed Weise's
guess. Further, the alternate take was not known to exist. Jorgensen immediately called BMG in New
York, and ordered from the vaults all Nashville tapes bearing subsequent matrix numbers recorded soon
after the Presley session.

After a thorough search, he found five more lost Presley items from the sessions--unreleased, alternatetake
performances sessions of "I Was the One," "I've Got a Woman" and "I'm Counting On You," as well
as two alternate takes of "Heartbreak Hotel," his first 1956 breakthrough single.

Some of the discoveries were included in the recent BMG "Elvis '56" release; the others will appear in a
new four-CD "Platinum--A Life in Music" box set that includes recently unearthed Presley material--
sessions, TV shows, rehearsals and even a pre-Sun Records acetate--to be released June 17 (Billboard,
May 24).

In a case still making headlines, a '70's-era directive of now-closed Columbia Records studio in Nashville
led to the label giving away a small audio gold mine.

The studio had a policy allowing employees to cheaply purchase reels of tape "not used in the
production of specific albums." An employee at the studio thought he'd gotten a good deal on a lot of
what he thought was simply bulk used tape--2,200 reels, to be precise.

Ownership of the stash has passed through several hands. Amid the detritus on the tapes, according to
the current owners, are unreleased studio and live masters, alternate takes and safety masters by icons
such as Louis Armstrong, Buddy Holly, Frank Sinatra, Hank Williams, Sr., Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Patsy
Cline, Tony Bennett, Bob Dylan and several dozen other well-known artists...

Geändert von Graves_bei_Nacht (01.03.2018 um 16:08 Uhr)
Die folgenden Nutzer bedankten sich bei Graves_bei_Nacht für diesen Beitrag: